Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Newlyweds

I don't know why I thought about this, but I thought you might enjoy the story, too.

We had a lot of couples come through the store that were staying at the area cabins for their honeymoon, or second honeymoon, whatever. So, of course, they would drift on in, and you could always tell - they were holding hands, and hu-u-u-gging, and sneaking little kisses back in the teeshirt corner or in the south room. They didn't know we could see them in the south room. We had a window from the kitchen that looked like a mirror on the southroom side. Good way to keep an eye on things back there.

Anyway, to get back to the story. Whenever they would get back up to the front, I'd ask the new husband how things were going, and if he'd gotten himself a bull whip yet, and I'd get the one I had behind the counter out for him to see. Of course, he said "No". So I would give him some of my long-married advice and tell him, "Son, you need to get a bullwhip. That way you can keep her lined out and you won't have any trouble out of her."

Now, by this time the little woman was beginning to listen to this conversation and noticed that her husband was eating it all up. Her face would get a little frowny and she was beginning to look a little "mad".

"Yep," I'd tell him. "Right after we (I'd point at Joan over at the soda fountain) got married, I got me this bull whip, and shook it at her a couple times and told her, 'from now on this is how things are gonna be around here.' After all the whelps healed up on my back, I say, 'Yes, ma'am, no ma'am', and things are just fine."

Of course, after that the new bride was laughing, and all was well. It would have been great to have a camera around just to catch the expression on the wife's face. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Sorry, all you get is the thousand words. Don't have a picture.

Later, and for you newly marrieds, don't forget the whip!

WB

No comments: