Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bert & the Sweetheart Bits

I love to tell stories on other people, and of course, Bert just keeps coming to mind since he spent some real "quality" time with us helping out in the store.

One time I walked in the front door and Bert was showing a fellow a pair of spurs and a pair of bits that I had down there. Just as I came in I heard him say, "Oh, about $10.00 for all three pieces."

I nearly fell all over myself stopping that sale. I said, "Bert, those were MINE when I was a kid, and they are NOT for sale!"

It was a pair of the first aluminum bits ever made by Crockett. Mother and Daddy had gotten them for me when I was 13 years old for my birthday and they had a heart in them. I always called them my "sweetheart bits".

And the spurs were a pair I had modified in order to be able to ride my horse bareback. I didn't have a saddle back then so cut the sharp little points off the spurs and then just dug in and hung on for dear life. If I had of been 10 minutes later, my spurs and bits would have been gone FOREVER.

But today Joan is wearing the spurs and we still use the bits on either of our horses. Some things just cannot be replaced.

So, Bert, "Nice try. I appreciate you trying to make a sale, but glad I interrupted that one!"

WB

No comments: